Thursday, December 17, 2009

My top 20 favorite actors




I saw Kate's list the other day [link], and I just needed to copy the idea. If anyone else hasn't done this top 20 tag, go ahead and do it now! You may use the header I made if you want to.

There is a problem with me vs. these kind of tags though, and that is that I suck at making lists. I just can't rank favorite actors and point out the best. So what I did was that I first narrowed my favorites down to pre-1960's. Then I just went with those I feel are in the top 20 at the moment, and skipped a lot of my obvious favorites like:

The Marx Brothers
Vincent Price
Clark Gable
Robert Montgomery
Buster Keaton
Orson Welles
Edward G. Robinson
Rudolf Klein-Rogge
Charles Chaplin
Lon Chaney
David Niven
Ricardo Cortez
Tony Curtis
James Dean

Etc etc... I hope they will forgive me, and that I will be able to sleep tonight. Here is my current top 20 favorite actors, in alphabetical order (I'm a chicken, I know):


Favorite role: Tony Hunter in The Band Wagon (1953)




Favorite role: Baron Felix von Gaigern in Grand Hotel (1932)




Favorite role: Rick Blaine in Casablanca (1942)




Favorite role: Général André de... in Madame de... (1953)




Favorite role: Rameses in The Ten Commandments (1956)




Favorite role: Cadet White in Wings (1927)




Favorite role: Police Insp. Ed Cornell in I Wake Up Screaming (1941)




Favorite role: C. K. Dexter Haven in The Philadelphia Story (1940)




Favorite role: Hjalmar Poelzig in The Black Cat (1934)




Favorite role: Dr. Richard Vollin in The Raven (1935)




Favorite role: Matthew Harrison Brady in Inherit the Wind (1960)




Favorit role: Prof. Humbert Humbert in Lolita (1962)




Favorite role: Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai (1954)




Favorite role: Harry Powell in The Night of the Hunter (1955)




Favorite role: Henry Gondorff in The Sting (1973)




Favorite role: Nick Charles in The Thin Man (1934)




Favorite role: Captain Renault in Casablanca (1942)




Favorite role: Captain Esteban Pasquale in The Mark of Zorro (1940)




Favorite role: Addison DeWitt in All About Eve (1950)




Favorite role: Rupert Cadell in Rope (1948)






An honorary favorite actor award goes to my Swedish favorite actor and drooling object:

Jarl Kulle (1927-1997)




Favorite roles:

Count Carl Magnus Malcolm in Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)




Don Juan in The Devil's Eye (1960)




Gustav Adolf Ekdahl in Fanny and Alexander (1982)



12 comments:

monty said...

Great list Lolita. I definitely need to make one now. I see Fred is your main man. Cool. Also I see you had my favorite actor make your list- Cary Grant. Do you plan on doing one for the ladies?

Meredith said...

cary grant was such a precious man, i can never get over it! and robert mitchum in night of the hunter never fails to give me chills.

monty said...

I tried posting a comment earlier and I don't know if it took. But I just said great list, now I need to do one. And I see Fred is your main man. Cool. Do you plan on doing one for the ladies?

Unknown said...

yay! So happy to see Charles Boyer, Fredric March & James Mason on your list (he would have been on mine if I had more room) :-D

Anonymous said...

GREAT list Lolita!!!! Sanders, Rains, and wow, even Laird Cregar. You are awesome!!!!

And I love the new blog header; you are absolutely hilarious!

PS: Jimmy all the way at 20? What has Millie done to you? ;D

Lolita of the Classics said...

Monty:
I get so much spam, so I have activated the comment moderation - therefore your comments won't be visible until I have accepted them! So there's nothing strange :)
Good idea, I should do one on the ladies... I will! About Cary Grant... I love his so much I even named my bicycle after him. It got stolen, though.

Meredith:
You've got great taste, lady ;)

Kate G:
Have you heard Eddie Izzard's James Mason impression? "I sound a bit like Goood, don't I?" It's perfect, haha!

Harley:
Thanks! And the list was in alphabetical order, so James Stewart is not (I say NOT!) last! I just couldn't decide who was my favorite of them (okay, Rathbone), so I chickened out with the ABC-technique ;)
Millie is awesome, but she could NEVER make me like James Stewart any less!

Lolita of the Classics said...

Harley:
Oh, and about the header: I felt quite silly yesterday, and that was the result of that combined with photoshop! Haha.

Tom said...

I too was a little freaked when I saw Jimmy dead-last. Then I remembered it was just ABC order! Paul Newman would make my list of favorites, too. PS Love your new header with Stripe the Gremlin! LOL

Lolita of the Classics said...

Tom:
Haha, well, even I wouldn't put James Stewart as low on the list as #20.
Hmm, maybe my craziness just got a little too carried away with that header? ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Author lolitasclassics.blogspot.com !
It is remarkable, very amusing piece

Anonymous said...

I like your way of writing! You should post more often…


sialis soft dostavka po moskve

Anonymous said...

I want another beer ;)